Saturday, 2 May 2009

Spring Update

We've been blessed with good weather this weekend and a trip to the garden centre to buy bark turned into a whole set of new planting ideas.

I like garden centres but the queues on a busy bank holiday weekend are like anthropologist's laboratory. A mixture of grumpy old bastards who've been self sufficient in tomatoes since the second world war, aggressive idiots who've never steered a trolley outside of Netto and then there's the middle class self sufficiency converts looking for the right compost for the seeds they impulsively bought at the M&S checkout.

I should mention the gardening convert that gets excited about every possibility and stacks his trolley full of impossible projects too - but that me - and I only have sympathy for that customer - as well as some of admiration.

It was a good day in the garden. The first early potato bags are now full and swelling and looking fantastic.


The line of peas I planted after a 100% failure early in the spring have come up trumps. I've concluded that I was just a bit early with the first lot - planting peas and beans in February was just a bit optimistic.




Having said that, the beans I planted early, although there was a low success rate, are looking very healthy. My second row of beans have all come up - I'm chuffed.



And I think the garden generally is looking great.


My two best bits are for the next post. The tomatoes are doing brilliantly - I'm doing leeks and onions and - I'm transferring to a proper blog spot at peteloughlin.com - still under construction but it's getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment