For beans, in a well drain sunny position, prepare the soil well and dig in some composted organic matter. Spacing the beans 4- 6 inches apart, place them in a drill and cover to a depth of a couple of inches.
Planting in late autumn gives results in early spring. Otherwise succession planting from mid spring early summer will give a crop throughout the summer.
Same approach for the peas planted in the Spring. Plant sufficiently deep so mice don't get them - about an inch and you should see results in 1 - 2 weeks.
Mmmmm!?
Well, out of a row of 8 beans planted in carefully prepared soil - fortified with well rotted manure, these two beauties are my only success.

I planted them in February when we had an hint of an early spring. The soil has loads of clay in it and we did get some pretty cold weather in late February so I think I put them out a touch too early in unfriendly conditions. Having said that, the two that have germinated look great.
As for the peas planted at the same time - not a sign of anything - 100% failure. I did another line of peas as well as putting a few in an unused planted last week - we'll see how they get on.
At least the spuds are doing well!
No comments:
Post a Comment