Saturday, 18 April 2009

Grow your own Diary - Tomatoes

Tomatoes are relatively easy to grow and especially satisfying. Starting from seed they make quick progress which is perfect for an impatient gardener - and you don't need a green house.

April is a great time to get started. I don't have a greenhouse, so I chose a seed variety that is recommended for growing outdoors. Following the instructions on the pack, the seeds are sprinkled thinly onto the surface of some good multi purpose compost. I used a 5 inch pot with a cloche type cover on it - then put a shallow layer of compost on top (a few cm) before watering. Placed on a sunny window sill, in a few short days there was a healthy set of seedlings.

3 inch pots were filled with John Innes No 1 compost. When the seedlings were strong enough to be handled, I used a a chopstick to help ease the seedlings out of the pot and put them in their own pot.


In about 6 weeks, these can be planted out in a grow bag positioned in a nice sunny spot.

We'll see how they get on in May.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I started my tomatoes over a month ago, and still no sign of any kind of sprouting despite the fact that my entire outside garden is growing. I am now getting impatient.....can I plant them by seed directly in my garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the UK, you can't sow them directly outside

    ReplyDelete